Sunday, August 3, 2014

Soul Walker

19384906Author: Robyn Jones
Release Date:  Soul Walker
Publisher: Indie/Self-published 
Genre(s): YA Paranormal  
*1st book of a series*

Summary:
When five-year-old Anna Pierce is offered a chance to have nightmare-free nights for the small price of her voice, she jumps at it. Silence has to be better than all-consuming dreams about blood and death and fangy monsters. The bargain she strikes comes with a secondary benefit, visions of a person's future potential. The combination of visions and silence changes her very nature and soon she's diagnosed with autism. Twelve years of living in her head comes to a screeching halt the moment Peter Davis pulls her out of an icy river. 

Her new life has her twirling, tiptoeing, and crashing through unfamiliar territory, one filled with a cranky grandma, a knocked up cousin, an unpleasant cousin, a bunch of mostly good vampires, and the boy who rescued her. 

To top it all off, the deal she made at five is no more. Anna is expected to talk, to figure out her resurfacing nightmares, and to control her ever-growing powers. And she'd better get it done soon because if the good vamps want a piece of a living, breathing Touched girl, the evil ones simply want. They'll take Anna for their very own.



Review

**Thank you so much to the author for sending me a copy of this book! :D**


The best thing about this book is its narrator- Anna! :)

I loved Anna! She was so quirky and endearing!! Her little habits were  so cute, and her happiness-her sweet little twirls!- was very contagious.  And the details! I loved how Anna notices the little things about life, and she relayed those details to us in a such pretty way. I also liked her boldness. It was a different kind of boldness, but it was really refreshing; many characters in YA have a strength to them that’s similar to Katniss (Hunger Games) or Tris (Divergent series), so a lot of them tend to just blur together.  But Anna’s strength/boldness was a different kind that was very unique and refreshing. :)

Ella, her grandmother, was another favorite character of mine; she was one of those tough on the outside, but caring on the inside characters- one of my favorite types of characters. ;)I also really liked Sara, who was a big sweetie, and I loved the relationship she and Anna had. 

As for Peter, I didn't really like him at first.  It was just that he came out of nowhere (literally), and there wasn't much development on him until the flashbacks, but after that meeting scene (very cute btw ;) ) and I got to know him a little better, he started to grow on me.  :) 

I’ll be honest in saying that I was a little wary before reading this book.  I love vampire stories, but a lot of the vampire stories coming out in YA these days (along with all those angel stories…) have put me on guard (lol).  But this book had a unique plot that I’d never read before, and I had to keep on reading to see what happened! :)

My only iffy about this book was that there were several parts where the transition was a bit rough, so I got a little lost. But otherwise, I liked this book! 

Thanks for reading! :)

Rating: 3.5 out of 5

2 comments:

robgirlbooks said...

I'm crazy about Anna too! She really is a different kind of hero. Thank you for jumping into her world!

Kyendwarrior said...

Anna is awesome! ^.^

Sure!:) Thanks for giving me a copy of the book! :D I enjoyed it :)