Monday, October 6, 2014

The One

20572939Author: Kiera Cass
Release Date:  June 5th, 2014
PublisherHarperCollins Children's Books
Genre(s): YA Dystopia
Pages:   323
*3rd(final) book of a trilogy*

~LOTS OF UNCOVERED SPOILERS (though, to be honest, this book is so predictable, it's a stretch calling them spoilers....)!! READ AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!!~

Summary (Goodreads):
The Selection changed America Singer's life in ways she never could have imagined. Since she entered the competition to become the next princess of IllĂ©a, America has struggled with her feelings for her first love, Aspen—and her growing attraction to Prince Maxon. Now she's made her choice . . . and she's prepared to fight for the future she wants.

Find out who America will choose in The One, the enchanting, beautifully romantic third book in the Selection series!




Review: 
*Hi guys! I know I've been really  MIA lately (I'm so sorry!! :( ), but this MIAness (?) will probably continue until the end of this month. >.<   I didn't expect my life to become so hectic lol, but such is life, and still we live it (quote credit to my Latin teacher). :)  Oh! And I've decided to keep aiming for the ten reviews a month thing until I finally reach my goal.  I probably won't reach it this month (LOL), but I'm still going to try! :)*

That gorgeous cover is misleading. DON'T FALL FOR IT'S DIABOLICAL LURE. Because hiding underneath is it... badness.

What a rollercoaster- and I'm not particularly partial to those.  I think the only reason I even stuck with this series is that it was so bad, I just had to know how it was going to be salvaged it was going to end (that, and since I started this series, I wanted to finish it).   This book/series is THE negative stereotype of YA books ( love triangle, pining/whining, a weird plot, etc).


I decided not to make this a series review only because it's been a while since I've read the last two books (and I did not want to re-read them).  But I may make references to it, and there will be lots of spoilers in this review. (*edit: look back over it, it sort of turned into a series review actually LOL).

When I first set out writing this review, I thought that finally, I'd be able to reach my goal (speaking of goals, I guess I failed pretty bad on the 10 reviews >.<  but I'm going to try again! :D) of a short review because all I'd say was: REALLY BAD.  But that's not much of a review, and I feel the need to justify myself (and bring happiness to all those English teachers out there ;)):

1. Love triangle:  Welp.  I think we all know how that goes.  Throw in wishy-washiness, whining/pining, etc, and BAM. A stereotypical YA romance is born.   This book (well, series) is like the definition of a love triangle consuming the book.   I can literally see it happening as I read the book; the author makes no attempt to make it subtle.  This book is about a love triangle, and the competition/dystopian aspect is just background stuff- well, actually, the background stuff is also a weird mish-mash of the competition and some rebel trouble too. ( I don't even know anymore. )

2. Pining/whining: SO. MUCH. She went back and forth so many times (for the silliest reasons), it gave me whiplash. But it wasn't just America that did it, but the prince guy too. Double whiplash. x_x  It's not until the very end that she FINALLY realizes that she loves Maxon.  But it was pretty obvious who she/he was going to choose in the first book (YA stereotype book...), and I hated how unnecessarily dragged out it was.  

3. Messy world/plot: This book (series) is a sorry excuse for a so-called dystopia.  I don't think a caste system (not very well explained, and it's really just a background thing- almost like a minor detail I thought) and some minor rebel trouble should mean this book is a "dystopian."  This book (series) has terrible world building.   In fact, most of the world is "built" (well more like straight up told to us) in this third book (ummm??). And the plot is really messy.  It's mainly suppose to be about the competition ( I guess??), but there's also a rebellion (I get the feeling the author was trying to make America into a Katniss like figure- heck, Katniss herself) and a love triangle that basically just swallows the book. 

4. Predictability:  I'll make this short: we all know who she's going to choose and who he's going to choose. There's no doubt, and any attempt at making us doubt should not be considered an attempt. America's the protagonist in a YA stereotype after all.  

5. Cardboard characters: The boys are cardboard with makeup. Not much personality, and the guard dude (I think his name is Aspirin?) is clingy and very whiny. 99% of his dialogue is: "I'll love you forever. Choose me. Choooose me.  Why won't you chooose me?!?! I looooove you." As for the prince dude, all I can remember about him is that he couldn't make up his mind.  *face palm*  Not even gonna go there.  I'm getting tired just thinking about it. 

Thanks for reading! :)

Rating: 1.5 out of 5 (Well, I finished it, didn't I? ;) )


No comments: