Thursday, January 22, 2015

Prep School Confidential

13411546Author: Kara Taylor
Release Date:  July 30th, 2013
Publisher: Macmillan
Genre(s): YA Mystery
Pages:  310
*Book one of a series*

~Spoiler Free~

Summary (Goodreads):
In this breathtaking debut that reads like Gossip Girl crossed with Twin Peaks, a Queen Bee at a blue-blooded New England prep school stumbles into a murder mystery.

Anne Dowling practically runs her exclusive academy on New York’s Upper East Side—that is, until she accidentally burns part of it down and gets sent to a prestigious boarding school outside of Boston. Determined to make it back to New York, Anne couldn't care less about making friends at the preppy Wheatley School. That is, until her roommate Isabella’s body is found in the woods behind the school.

When everyone else is oddly silent, Anne becomes determined to uncover the truth no matter how many rules she has to break to do it. With the help of Isabella’s twin brother Anthony, and a cute classmate named Brent, Anne discovers that Isabella wasn’t quite the innocent nerdy girl she pretended to be. But someone will do anything to stop Anne’s snooping in this fast-paced, unputdownable read—even if it means framing her for Isabella’s murder.
 

Review:
Welp... that's the last time I'm reading murder mysteries by myself in the dark at 12 AM.  LOL. 

This book was both... fluffy and heavy? If that's even possible? It never lost it's humor, that's for sure, but at the same time, it is a murder mystery, so there was a lot of heavy stuff going on as well.

The plot definitely kept me on my toes.  Codes and sweet nerdy girls hiding secrets? BRING IT.  I was dying (pun not intended) to see the ending- and boy, was it satisfying!  I honestly did not expect it, which made it the best thing ever! It's been a while since I've read a book where I was constantly suspicious of almost every character. 

I love Annie!  She was snarky and spoiled at first (like to the point where I sorta wanted to slap her...), but she underwent major character development (though even at the end, she is a teensy bit spoiled-but that's part of her charm I guess xD), and had me laughing even in some of the most serious bits.   The only thing I HATED HATED HATED about this book was that love triangle. OH MY GOODNESS.  It appeared out of nowhere- well, no I take that back.  I expected it, but I didn't expect the random kisses. Those came out of nowhere and hit me square in the face.  Yuck.  The whole love triangle mess was poorly developed, just like our two male leads, and I think she would be better off alone actually...

But anyways.  I'll get over it... eventually. xD

THAT ENDING. SO CREEPY BUT SO INTRIGUING.  I think just for that ending I'd pick up the second book... even though I REALLY don't like where this love triangle is going.... UGGGGGGH (sorry can't get over this xD).  WHHHY BOOOK?! You had such a great plot and a lovely heroine with only slightly underdeveloped supporting characters (but they were endearing ;) ), but that terrible, terrible love triangle really just.... UGGGGGGGGH.

 I'm usually not a fan of mysteries (just 'cuz- maybe I'll write a post about it in the future ;) ), but with this book and the Deadly Cool series by Gemma Halliday (one of the few mystery series that I enjoy reading again and again- WHICH I WOULDN'T HAVE TO DO- though I don't mind- IF ONLY THE THIRD BOOK WOULD JUST COME OUT D:), I'm slowly warming up to them-esp. if they have a little fluffy mixed in. xD.

Thanks for reading!

Rating:
2.7 out of 5
(I was going to give the book a 3, but that love triangle... just killed it... not in a good way... and pun totally intended...)

No comments: